Growth Fund Managing Director
|Job Title:||Anza Growth Fund Managing Director|
|Reports to:||IC and Board|
|Location:||Dar es Salaam (regular travel to Arusha & Mtwara)|
|Salary:||Up to 5m TSH + benefits (based on qualifications & experience)|
|Apply by:||8th February 2021|
Anza is an organization committed to drive innovation and economic growth, Anza was founded on the belief that entrepreneurs will transform Tanzania. Understanding the challenges faced by many growing enterprises, Anza provides personalised and strategic capacity building, affordable capital, and relevant community ecosystem support to social enterprises. Through this robust range of offerings, Anza meaningfully assists to grow businesses that have the potential to create more jobs and provide life-improving products or services to low-income Tanzanians.
Anza Growth Fund is a microfinance institution registered in Tanzania that provides debt and equity finance at terms that help businesses grow. Anza Growth fund provides concessional finance at flexible repayment terms, the Anza Growth Fund is a unique offering of Anza. While many business development companies say they will get businesses ready for finance, Anza Growth Fund removes the hurdle of finance .
The Growth Fund is a core pillar of Anza’s success and critical to addressing the capital gap facing entrepreneurs in Tanzania. We are seeking an enterprising and experienced fund manager with a deep commitment to supporting Tanzanian business growth to lead and scale the AGF into one of the countries leading early stage capital providers. This role presents a rare opportunity to own, shape, and build the long term strategy of a fund, while benefiting from Anza’s platform of programmes, partners, and connections in Tanzania’s entrepreneurial ecosystem.
Anza Growth Fund seeks a highly talented and passionate Managing Director to lead the organization’s capital strategy, heading the build-out of the following areas:
- Our impact lending fund to small and medium businesses
- Our Impact investment and support to businesses in Tanzania going through Anza Accelerator programmes
- Our investment facilitation services, which connects global impact investors with our pipeline of investment-ready businesses
Specific duties and responsibilities
- In collaboration with the Directors and shareholders of Anza, design and implement the AGF strategy and implement it to achieve the broader strategic aim to elevate the AGF to become an established micro-lending company.
- Manage and allocate human and finance resources to execute against AGF strategy
- Serve as an in-country point-of-contact for all partnerships ensuring strong client satisfaction and strong service delivery
- Oversee all programmatic elements of the Anza Growth Fund, their delivery, impact, and revenue contribution
- Work with the management team to identify, test, and modify services to fit diverse client needs as well as Anza’s “big picture” vision
- Work with Anza Entrepreneurs Managing Director to ensure that AGF meets its goals to support the Anza Accelerator’s growing client base
- Fundraise and improve capital worthiness of Anza Growth Fund
- Oversee the due diligence of loan applications through the AGF
- Present DD findings and recommendations to the AGF Investment Committee
- Execute disbursement to clients; oversee the monitoring and collection of payments from clients, following up with delinquent clients as necessary
- Continually strengthen and formalize on going fund-level policies and procedures, including due diligence and Investment Committee (IC) guidelines
- Improve and strengthen the operational, Debt Management System and IT infrastructures of AGF.
Ensure portfolio performance and ensure Anza Growth Fund invests in and supports the right businesses in Tanzania
- Work closely with the Board of Directors and Monitoring and Evaluation departments of Anza to track organisation metrics in order to inform and constantly iterate on organisational goals and resourcing
- Maintain and form new relationships with investors who have an interest in investing debt, equity or quasi-equity into Tanzanian social enterprises
- Connect ‘investment ready’ businesses from Anza Entrepreneur’s accelerator programs to Anza’s network of investors, where the businesses fit the investors’ investment mandates and requirements
- Ensure that the Investment Committee and Board of Directors is properly apprised on strategic direction, policy change, financial health, risks, legal and compliance matters, and all other matters required to advise the organization
Requirements for this Position
- Degree in Finance, Microfinance, Accounting, Investments, Business, Economics, or relevant education.
- Minimum of 7 years of experience with fund management, credit/loans management, financial management, budgeting, and accounting.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in managerial position and experience with managing a team with a strong understanding of human resource administration and resource development.
- Ability to communicate effectively in written and spoken English and Swahili with emphasis on excellent writing skills.
- Able to identify and drive revenue generation opportunities
- Communicate effectively locally and internationally to a variety of stakeholders
- Unrelenting perseverance and personal integrity
- Critical thinking skills are a crucial asset, the incumbent should know how to take the team along in the organization’s strategic journey
- Strong team working ability and ability to manage a portfolio across a wide geographical area
Moreover, the following criteria are desirable:
- Prior working experience in Tanzania.
- Knowledge of Microfinance and fund management legislation in Tanzania
- Strong negotiation and networking skills
- Deep commitment to Anza Growth Fund’s mission, vision, and culture
- Appreciate the use of technology as a key driver of organization efficiency
- Constantly seeking new opportunities to add value to your work
- Value high standards of professionalism and rigor
- Value transparency as key to building collaborative teams
- Have an entrepreneurial approach to addressing social and economic challenges
- Knowledge of Credit Management System and data protection as well as IT systems such as Microsoft office, CRM systems etc.
How To Apply
Send in the application to firstname.lastname@example.org with title “Anza Growth Fund Managing Director”
Deadline for Application is 8th February 2021, applications are accepted on a rolling basis until filled – early application encouraged!
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted, screening process will include case studies, competency tests, and behavioural interviews